Thursday 25 November 2010

CA 6.3 Knowing When to Jump In!

For me this collaborative activity has been a really good learning experience. Having managed to complete the study in unit 5 on time, for the first in H808, I was able to start reading the requirements for this task well before my normal weekend study routine. I was keen to get things underway but was not sure when would be the best time to jump in. The learning points that we mentioned in the previous collaborative exercise were still fresh in my mind so I planned out a simple method of attack taking them into consideration. A small element of me had hoped someone else would start the forum postings off and I could follow others but I had done that before and therefore I felt it was time for me to step forward and take the plunge. It is so pleasing to get positive feedback from others from the first forum post; I couldn’t help wondering if my fellow team members were also ready to get things started and I managed to sneak in before them or they were pleased someone else got the ball rolling as it were?

I am very pleased with the method that we attacked this task and have great confidence that we have produced a fine presentation. Perhaps my extended strength of leading the dialogue in some areas may not have given much room for others to jump in, for that I profoundly apologise as it might have been my military training that spilled into my OU online studies. I guess once you step forward into the line of fire you need to stand up, be counted and commit yourself to doing a good job. Despite having many modern tools at our finger tips the simple ones do seem to work best. I created the Google docs spreadsheet having realised that a fellow member uploaded an excel version to the forum but other members of the group were unable to edit and make comments. Although it took a bit of time setting up the hyperlinks in this spreadsheet it was of great benefit and thankfully much appreciated by the team members. Again taking forward the experiences and lessons learnt from a previous activity using Skype combined with Sync.in allowed us all to collaborate well and make our own inputs to shape the end result. Having had technical problems previously we managed to hold a 90 minutes synchronous session online with 4 of the 6 members which included a member from New Zealand despite the 13 hours time difference; for me this was probably the best and most enjoyable part of the whole collaborative experience.

To maximise full inclusion with the team using google doc presentation enabled us all to use a familiar tool (ie powerpoint) only on more simplistic scale. Before making the suggestion to use this tool I quickly cobbled together a rough outline of the slide titles to help guide team members to see how we could structure the presentation. Once everyone could see the action plan everyone rallied to deliver their individual slides with much enthusiasm. Some very valid points were made in the forum about the look and free of the presentation to help readability and printing. The final Skype session held two days before the proposed deadline helped to not just engage the two team members who could not make the previous live online session but also cemented our way forward to completion. I like to think that this allowed all members to feel their views, thoughts and contributions were valued and appreciated by all team members; I know I did and I’d like to thank those who collaborated with me.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good experience for you, well done. I am not sure the same positivity reigned in groups 1
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lesley, compared with our previous experiences I was impressed with how the team embraced the whole activity. I do wonder how successful the activity might have been if we did not have to write about it in TMA02 as part of the assessment process; this does help to focus peoples effort and attention to detail. I am sure you and other members of group 1 have made many learning points which makes for good reading in your reflections. Regards Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mark,

    I agree that there is a fine line between wanting to help/get things going and allow room for others to make suggestions. I am sure your military training was an advantage in this case!

    I wish I had had the foresight to create a template in Powerpoint, to structure the content of the presentation and limit the number of slides. Unfortunately, our show quickly became text heavy, which I know from my experience of teaching presentation skills is a 'faut pas'.

    Although our group all participated and added content, the absence of a detailed 'plan of attack' at the beginning lead to a lack of focus and some confusion over roles. After this experience, I sincerely wonder if some of the group members ever wish to communicate with me again! An eerie silence dominated our team forum towards the end, and it seemed like the final decision on how to present our show came down to me.

    If you're interested, here is my reflection on the whole process, along with the end product itself.

    http://nlomax.wordpress.com/2010/11/27/supplemetary-activity-6-4-reflection-on-group-work/

    Regards from a weary fellow MAODE 'veteran'returning from 'the front',

    N8

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nathan, Thanks for taking the time to comment here. The nature of collaborative work online takes more effort to get the balance right. Although I am not sure I did, the important aspect for me is that someone needs to keep the ball rolling so if you have an idea you need to be fully prepared to take it forward whilst recognising other learners efforts and potential limitations. I found myself offering potential ways forward but welcomed alternative methods from others, I guess for the harmony of the group you should not too precious if an idea is not adopted by the team and taken forward. I was very happy to see we keep up good communication links centred around the forum (now at 105 posts). I have posted a comment on your blog. Regards Mark

    ReplyDelete