Tuesday 9 November 2010

CA5.5 The CMALT and LSN certification schemes

A few days ago I commented on the forum in response to what does ‘Learning Technologist’ do? Having only just thrown myself into unit 5, I was blindly not aware we were to explore this in more depth over the coming activities in part 2 but actually when I go back and read this I am content with my reply. Please see my below for details:

I currently work within a small team who were collectively labelled as a Technology Based Training group, over the last year we have been aiming to modernise the military training methods by promoting a variety of electronic media and mediums to delivery training across defence. The main resistance to chance has been one of culture ie why change the way we have been delivering training for centuries? To seek acceptance and be able to operate within financial constraints we now offer a range of technologies that are both old and new methods providing a more accepted blended approach. Since making these improvements and still managing to conduct training within our defence system approach to training we have been renamed as the 'Learning Technology' group so does that make me a learning technologist? Well I do research and introduce the use of new technologies that compliment older practice with the view to improving performance and engagement from the learner but also seek to make best use of the appropriate technological processes and resources to make the management of training more efficient for the organisation. IMHO combining the understanding of learning theory, training/instructional design and selecting an appropriate technological method of delivery is what a learning technologist would do.

Now having read through the CMALT and LSN competence lists I am able to add extra value to my initial thoughts but surprisingly to me they were not far off the mark. Completing the comparison grid enabled me to identify the gaps in my own personal development plan so I updated this include the ability to monitor, assess and evaluate the appropriate use of elearning. It is only upon reflecting I was able to see we need to be able identify if a particular technology is working or not and know when to move on or push harder for success. Am I right in thinking that my own PDP should be a living document and can be amended when I choose?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it is an audit and action plan. It is also fluid. You return to it on a regular basis, with CMALT for re-certification, as you fill some gaps, identify others or learn/conclude that things have changed for you ... or with the technology of with opinions on best practice. The thoroughness of your approach strikes me as one that could be applied to a department, or even an organisation in terms of identifying the skills a team of people might need. My struggle is when I see a competency I require but feel the learning curve might be too great a climb believing, say with simple technical stuff someone else will do it. They won't! Coming from TV production for example firstly directors were expected to operate broadcast cameras and now they should be able to edit, mix sound and prepare broadcastable reports. In truth technical skills such as these, and technical skills required in e-learning can be learnt in an short course, sometimes a few hours or over a weekend to develop competence. I've found this exercise timely and valuable, in one area where a worki, swimming coaching, everything is going online and this kind of thing for individual coaches and clubs is standard practice which is now tied into the thousands of courses we have available to us ... and it informs the creation of courses by the Institute of Swimming who see the gaps in required or desirable skills and experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan thanks for taking the time to comment here. I agree the PDP needs to have an element of fluidity to help capture unforeseen or newly emerging competences. My PDP takes into account the connection that H808 (or perhaps MAODE) has on my current work environment. I have taken this approach in bid to apply this new knowledge and understanding. I emphasise with the issues of taking on what might seem a task too far but in my experience it pays to be a 'jack of all trades' but it would be nice to be a master of something and for me this is ODE.

    ReplyDelete