Sunday 26 September 2010

CA 2.2 – Reflection on E-portfolio Drivers Activity

I initialing thought this activity would be fairly straight forward, read some papers, tease out the key drivers and then discuss in the forum before populating a table in the course wiki. How wrong was I? Although I had reserved more than 15 hours to study this past week I had too many other distracting events which reduced my study time and hence did not engage until late. I was really impressed with Frauke’s proactive approach to get this collaborative activity under way by helping to organise and provide a focus to both groups.

Some frustration crept in when I printed all ten papers and released how much reading had to be done. Being dyslexic I struggle to maintain concentration whilst reading and find myself having to re-read many sections to extract the main drivers and issues with the use of e-portfolios. Whilst reading the text I found it hard to distinguish between a driver and an advantage. I had to remind myself that a driver should reflect a reason for the introduction of an e-portfolio whereas I sometimes found myself looking at the benefits after they had been introduced.

The core reading papers were lengthy documents and as a result much of my time was taken up delving into these than contributing to the forum or wiki. By the time I had constructed my own thoughts and comments others had already made a contribution and my efforts would not have added any value. Should I have made some comments in the forums to show some activity or sit back and watch others do a better job? I did not want to de-value their efforts and opted to make a small and probably insignificant contribution.

For our first collaborative activity in H808 perhaps the OU might have chosen a smaller range of information to discuss and work on within a group. This might have enabled greater inclusion and dialogue between students rather than the polite acceptance that most of us have made a contribution. Although I made the suggestion a little late in a forum post, perhaps I would have been more comfortable working in a pair on a specific set of papers rather than trying to scan all the papers. That said it is commendable that some members in our group have made a significant effort to complete this activity; thank you very much for taking this activity to its conclusion, I take my hat off to you all.

In an attempt to map my efforts of this activity to the framework for personal and professional development in the course handbook, I can identify that I have been mildly pro-active in the communication-related competencies due to my limited contributions to the group forum and, to a much lesser extent, in the research-related competency. Here I identify that I will need to up my study routine by making more time to be pro-active and improve my efforts to contribute in collaborative activities. In a strange way I guess this reflection is a positive step towards improving my personal and professional development profile.

2 comments:

  1. Mark
    I agree with your thoughts regarding such a collaborative activity so early in the course - in particular as some of the group members assigned to our group had not even had a chance to engage for whatever reason. I too was overwhelmed by the number of papers and the task at hand - and I'm still wondering whether the 'real' task was actually much smaller than we perceived it to be. At least we got plenty of food for reflection.

    Best wishes
    Frauke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frauke,
    Many thanks for your kind comments...perhaps being on a post graduate course leads us to want to deliver more? Either way the task is complete and we do have much to reflect upon...I know I have many lessons to take forward.
    Regards
    Mark

    ReplyDelete