Saturday 18 December 2010

SA 8.2 A Knowledge Market Place – Dropbox

I have chosen to offer advice on Dropbox as this is the single most important piece of software that I use day-to-day not just to organise and store my documents for H808 but also share work documents with colleagues.

What is Dropbox?

Dropbox is a web based file hosting service which uses cloud computing to enable users to store and share files and folders with others across the Internet using file synchronisation. There are both free and paid services available from www.dropbox.com but as I am a student I am only interested at present in the free service.

How do I install it?

Dropbox can be used just on the Internet if you choose but to realise the maximum benefits it brings you need to download the Dropbox software to your own PC by visiting the website or use a link provided by a friend or colleague inviting you to set up an account. Using the following invitation link enables the user sending it (ie me in this instance) a chance to receive more memory storage space. https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTEwMDM4NTcyOQ?src=global0

How do I use it?

Once the software is install you simple drag and drop or save any file type into the dropbox folder and it automatically sync with the online backup storage providing you are connected to the web. If you are not connected to the Internet then file syncing will commence when next connect to the web. You can download this software to multiple computers to setup automatic syncing of files shared between them.

What are the main features?

  • Allows you to sync files online and across your computers automatically
  • New users get 2Gb of online storage free and can earn more storage up to 8Gb.
  • You can sync files of any size or type.
  • The sync facility works across Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems.
  • File sharing allows you to share and collaborate on same files.
  • Control who has access to your shared folders and set up links to public folders which non users are able to view your files.

So what are the Benefits as a Learner?

As a learner who is constantly on the go, before I started to use dropbox I stored files on three different PCs: my desktop at home, my laptop which I use when working away from home and my desktop at work. Very often I found myself not being able to get access to something I stored on a different computer, despite using a USB memory device on my own PCs this was not allowed to be connected in my work environment. For a while I used Google documents but this relied on me remembering to upload the required document which took time and additional effort.

Dropbox has enabled me to just store the file once in a folder system on any of my PCs and be able to access any time, any place and from any computer connected to the web. I have recently downloaded the Dropbox app to my HTC mobile and can view all files in my Dropbox. I often wonder how I managed to keep track of my files before using this brilliant piece of software.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Mark,

    Thanks for this. It seems the advantage of dropbox over googledocs is that you can snyc with your pc. I have done this previously with Livemesh, which worked pretty well.

    My colleague tried to send me something through dropbox but it didn't work, perhaps because I have to sign up to the site.

    Cheers,

    N8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nathan,

    Thanks for taking the time to comment. I have managed to share many folders with colleagues at work and yes I did login to access the content online but your local folder structure should automatically sync once you accept an invitation to share a folder offered via email.

    There are some limitations in sharing folders in DropBox please see their help page https://www.dropbox.com/help/19 for more details.

    Regards
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Mark, thanks for this, I have been using the DropBox for a while now and have found it as you describe. I'm using it as a portfolio compilation tool but am also toying with Microsoft one notes as well.

    ReplyDelete